Monday, April 30, 2012

today i ran

I ran with Brian today. I like to walk the neighborhood and occasionally do tae bo. Sometimes I go to the gym, but today I ran. I just needed to. We ran for 20 minutes when I had to take a break. I told Brian to keep going. I would walk. So I walked a little and ran a little until, at last I saw Brian at the top of the hill!  "Brian!!" I yelled. But he was listening to his Ipod. If I could run up the hill, maybe I could catch him! The hill was too much, but at the top of the hill, was the downhill slope. I know I can catch him on the downhill run! I ran fast; I was out of breath. "Brian!" I yelled, but he still could not hear me. Now I had to prove to myself that I could catch him! I HAD to catch him! As I panted unattractively, I passed an old lady with beehive hair. At least I was faster than she was! There was Brian, on the other side of the soccer field. I cut across the field, not caring what I looked like. It occurred to me that I might throw up, but I had to catch him! So I yelled once more, this time more loudly than before, "Brian!!" And he heard me! He turned around and there I was. I had caught him!

On my way back to the car, it occurred to me, what if we chased that hard after God? What if we didn't care what we looked like or who heard us? How might our week look differently if we pursued him with such intensity!  What if we forgot about all the things we had to do and sought after him because we were thirsty for him, rather than for what he might do for us? Fortunately, God is not listening to an Ipod. He will always hear.  James 4:8 says "Come close to God, and God will come close to you." And Jeremiah 33:3 says,  "Call to me and I will answer you and will tell you great and hidden things that you have not known."