Wednesday, September 18, 2013

singing in the Nova

When I was little, my Grandma had a gold Nova with no airconditioning. She had to turn the steering wheel hard with no power steering. And those 1970's black vinyl seats were hot! I was six when Grandma took me school shopping for the first grade, and we rode in the Nova. I remember it vividly, like I remember the clothes she bought for me. A big girl shirt with little buttons and puffy sleeves and a cute plaid skirt to match. We had so much fun that day; and I felt like I was very grown up,  very loved. Later that year, very unexpectedly, she went to be with the Lord. Looking back, I know that day was a gift. I can even hear us singing together, "He's got the whole world in his hands."

Recently, I heard a modern worship song that reminded me of the Nova ride. "The whole world in his hands," we sang with great emotion, an old idea to match the new tune. I love new songs and old ones, new friends and old memories. And I relish the fact that through the last 39 years since our shopping day, God has remained faithful. Indeed he has kept the whole world in his hands! Times may change, and people we love may go on to heaven to wait for us there, but their contribution to our lives is vast. The truths from then continue to be true today. And God is still just as much holding the world together now as he was then, when we sang in the Nova.